Housing process and preference form 

Where do I find my MU student ID number, username and password?

You will need to know your username and password to complete your preference form and your housing & dining contract.

Check your application status to find your student ID number and username. Learn more about your username and password from the Division of Information Technology.

Why can't I choose my own room?

Our experienced staff reviews the preferences of all incoming students — more than 5,000 Tigers — and assigns rooms to fulfill the greatest number of preferences for the largest number of students. Our process is designed to put together a very large puzzle for our residents.

Is there a way to rank my preferences in order of priority?

No. Our goal is to find a room that matches as many of your preferences as possible, with priority given to your FIG or learning community (if you chose one) and your requested roommate.

How do I request a roommate?

Most students are paired together and placed in a residence hall by our staff. However, if you already know who you want to live with, we work hard to accommodate your request.

You'll need to provide your roommate's myZou username, and they also must request you on their preference form. Your roommate does not have to be in your FIG, but you cannot be in different FIGs or learning communities.

If you cannot find your roommate when completing your preference form, it may be because your roommate hasn't completed the housing process. If you cannot find your roommate, contact them, and ask them to finish their housing process. This may require you to come back and revisit the preference form. You may revisit as many times as needed until Feb. 1. Once your roommate has finished the housing process, you should be able to successfully search for their name in your preference form.

First-round Housing Assignments

How do I find my housing assignment?

Log in to the housing portal with your username and password. You will see your room assignment and roommates or suitemates In the My Assignment page.

I didn't receive my housing assignment and I thought I submitted my preference form and contract by the deadline. 

There could be several reasons why you haven't received your housing assignment:

  • Make sure you've submitted the $325 prepayment. If you haven't, please submit your $325 prepayment and we'll include you in the second round of housing assignments.
  • If your housing and dining contract and $325 prepayment were submitted after the Feb. 6 deadline, you will be included in the second round of housing assignments.
  • Sometimes we need to review preferences more closely before an assignment can be made. Typically this means we need additional information to inform your housing assignment. Make sure to talk to your preferred roommate and check your MU email account to see if we’ve communicated with you.
Why didn't I get what I asked for in my housing assignment?

When we assign rooms, we prioritize what’s going to contribute most to your academic success. The first criteria we look at are your FIG and learning community. Each FIG is limited to 15–20 students. After FIGs, we look at roommates. Finally, we work to fulfill as many of your other preferences as we can.

To assign roommates together, students must be an accepted member of a roommate group in the Housing Portal and have completed their housing contract and $325 prepayment by the deadline. If you and your roommate preferenced different FIGs, you may not be in the same room, as we prioritize FIGs before roommates.

Returning students have first pick of our housing inventory. Next year, you'll enjoy being able to select your specific room.

I anticipated a different assignment. How can I change it?

Starting March 15, you may relinquish your current assignment and request a new one. However, we strongly discourage you from doing this. You are less likely to get a room that meets your preferences in the second round of assignments because there is less inventory.

If you preferenced a single and did not receive one, please note that singles are very limited and make up a very small percentage of our rooms. For that reason, most of these spaces are selected by returning students. 

If you preferenced a suite with your desired suitemates and did not receive one, please note that suites are also limited and make up 33% of Residential Life housing availability. Reach out to your desired suitemates to see where they are assigned; if we aren't able to put you in a suite, we try to place desired suitemates close together within the same community style hall when possible.  

How do I relinquish my housing assignment?

On March 15, 2023, we will open our housing assignment relinquish process. This is an opportunity for those that received a housing assignment in the first round to relinquish their housing assignment and go through the second round of assignments.

 Please consider these key aspects before relinquishing your current housing assignment:

  • We are able to accommodate more preferences in the first round, as there is more inventory available.
  • If you received your roommates and/or suitemates during the first round of assignment but did not receive other preferences, we strongly discourage you from relinquishing your assignment.

Do I need to relinquish on March 15?

No, you have plenty of time to finalize your decision. However, you need to relinquish by May 1 in order to be included in the second round of housing assignments.

If I update my housing preferences, will you reassign me?

No, updating your preferences does not affect your housing assignment. If you want to go through the second round of assignments, you must relinquish your assignment and update any preferences by May 1.

I believe there is space in my room, and I have someone that would like to be my roommate. What should I do?

If you haven’t already, create a new roommate group but do not relinquish your room. Reach out to Residential Life at so we can confirm the availability of the space and other factors that can impact these requests.

Freshmen Interest Groups (FIGs) and Learning Communities (LCs)

What are FIGs and LCs?

Freshman interest groups (FIGs) comprise 15-20 first-year students who live near each other and enroll in a few general education classes together. By joining a FIG, you are not only living and learning with students who share your interest and your major, but you are also gaining a built-in study group.

Like FIGs, learning communities (LCs) group students with similar social or academic interests together on designated floors within a residence hall. While FIGs are often housed within learning communities, learning communities do not require an academic structure, and they are open to sophomores, juniors and seniors as well as first-year students.

Why aren't locations listed for FIGs and LCs?

We base the location of each FIG and LC on group size, which is based on demand. Locations may change from year to year.

I'm an honors student. What housing is available for me?

As a Mizzou honors student, you have access to preference the honors residential community at Mark Twain Hall, where you can live with other honors students and build your network. Be sure to select honors hall housing when filling out your housing & dining contract!

Roommates & suitemates 

Do I have a roommate?

Unless you're in a single room, you most likely have a roommate. Your roommate's name and email will be displayed in the housing portal.

How do I contact my roommate or suitemate?

Log in to the housing portal with your username and password. Your roommate's name and email will be displayed for you to reach out to them. Start checking your MU email address to see if they have already reached out to you!

I got an assignment, but my desired roommate didn't. What happened?

Reach out to your desired roommate and ask if they completed a preference form, housing and dining contract, and prepayment before May 3. Students who did not complete these steps by May 3 have not been assigned to rooms.

If your desired roommate completed these steps by May 3, encourage them to check their MU email or reach out to us. Sometimes we need to review preferences more closely before an assignment can be made. Typically, this means we need additional information.

General questions 

Why are first-time college students required to live on campus?

National research shows that students who live in university housing are more successful. We know from our own data that students who live in Residential Life facilities are more likely to stay in school and graduate in four years than students who do not.

Can I move off campus mid-year?

No. University policy requires first-time college students to live in Residential Life residence facilities. Your contract is for a complete academic year. All residents who have signed a legal contract are required to fulfill their responsibilities.

How do I know what to pack? 

We have a downloadable move-in checklist to help you organize what you need to pack and what items will be provided to you. It also explains which items are not allowed in your residence hall room such as air fryers, toasters, space heaters, etc.

What is a FIG?

Freshman interest groups are made up of 15–20 students who live near each other and enroll in some of the same general education classes. In addition, members enroll in a one-credit-hour course together during their first semester to help with the transition to college life.

What is gender-inclusive housing?

This option is available throughout our housing options and may be requested in the Gender-Inclusive Housing Agreement in your preference form. This housing option is not designed for romantic partnerships. Our office will follow up with you to gather more information about your request.