If you do not have a summer 2023 housing contract, you must move out by noon May 13.
If you have a summer contract and are living on campus this summer, transition to your new summer assignment on summer transition day. You will receive more information about your summer assignment in early May.
If you or immediate family are graduating, or you are serving as commencement staff, you may submit a late stay request form through the Housing Portal starting March 27. All late stay requests must be submitted by noon on Wednesday, May 10, 2023.
Your late stay request must be approved. Reasons to submit a late stay request form include graduation or working on campus to support graduation activities. Requests for gaps in lease or travel will not be approved.
How to check out of your room
- Remove all personal belongings from your room and any shared spaces. Any items left behind may result in an abandoned property charge of $25 per 32-gallon trash bag and/or $25 per large item (minifridge, furniture or other items that cannot be placed in a trash bag).
- Clean your room and take your trash to the dumpster.
- Check your mailbox and retrieve packages from the desk.
- Update your permanent address in MyZou.
- When you are ready to check out, complete a check-out form in the Housing Portal. If you live in Discovery, Excellence, Respect, Responsibility, Mizzou at the Rise: Return all assigned keys and/or fobs to the front desk. Keys not returned will result in a lock change and charges of $85–$170 added to your account.
Sign up for a move-out time in the Housing Portal starting April 25. You will see options from Monday, May 1 to noon Saturday, May 13. Please select a time when you know you’ll have your items moved out and you no longer need access to your room. Don’t forget to check out. By checking out, you indicate you have left your room and won’t be returning. Your door access will no longer work once you have checked out.
Empty and clean your room
- Triple check that all personal items are out of your room. This includes all belongings, trash and unwanted items.
- Any items left behind may result in an abandoned property charge of $25 per 32-gallon trash bag and/or $25 per large item (minifridge, furniture or other items that cannot be placed in a trash bag).
- Do not leave items in common area spaces.
- Floors, including in the closets, should be swept and mopped. All furniture, including inside drawers, should be wiped down.
- Leave any adhesive products on the wall. Our staff will remove them.
- Close and lock windows.
- Take trash to the dumpster and cardboard to the appropriate recycling bin. During move-out, additional dumpsters are placed on campus for your use. Do not leave trash in your room or pile trash in the hallway or trash room.
Mail and packages
- Don’t forget to check your mailbox before you leave and retrieve any packages.
- Update your permanent address in MyZou. This is the address used to forward your mail once the halls close, so you do not need to fill out a change-of-address card through the Postal Service. If we do not have a forwarding address for you, all mail received will be returned to the sender. Contact any companies that you use to purchase things online and change your address to your home or summer address. We will not forward magazines, catalogs or coupons.
- Residential Life will only be able to forward packages from USPS. Items from other carriers (UPS, FedEx, DHL, Amazon, etc.) generally require additional postage to be resent, and will not be forwarded. Residential Life will only hold items for 30 days.
Don’t forget your bike!
- All bicycles outside residence halls and Mizzou at the Rise will be removed after May 17 — except bikes outside summer housing locations at Discovery, Gateway and Excellence.
- Abandoned bicycles at Tara will not be removed until Summer 2023. Specific information will be provided closer to May.
- If you’re flying, check with the airline before you leave to see if they anticipate any issues with your flight. For info about air travel, visit www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips.