If you do not have a summer 2022 housing contract, you must move out by noon May 14.
If you are living on campus this summer, make plans to transition to your new summer assignment on May 17. You will receive more information about your summer assignment soon!
If you have extenuating circumstances and need additional time to move out, please submit a late stay request form through the Housing Portal starting April 25. The deadline for late stay requests is May 11.
How to check out of your room
- Remove all personal belongings from your room and any shared spaces. Any items left behind may result in an abandoned property charge of $25 per 32-gallon trash bag and/or $25 per large item (minifridge, furniture or other items that cannot be placed in a trash bag).
- Clean your room and take your trash to the dumpster.
- Check your mailbox and retrieve packages from the desk.
- Update your permanent address in MyZou.
- When you are ready to check out, complete a check-out form in the Housing Portal.
If you live in Discovery, Excellence, Respect, Mizzou at the Rise: Return your room keys to the front desk. Keys not returned will result in a lock change and charges of $85–$215 added to your account.
If you live in Hawthorn, Galena or Dogwood: Sign up for a move-out time in the Housing Portal starting April 25. The deadline to sign up is May 8. You will see options from Monday, May 2 to noon Saturday, May 14. Please select a time you know you will have all items moved out of your room and are no longer needing to stay in your room. Your door access will no longer work once you have checked out.
Empty and clean your room
- Remove all belongings from your room and any shared space.
- Floors, including in the closets, should be swept and mopped.
- All furniture, including inside drawers, should be wiped down.
- Leave any adhesive products on the wall. Our staff will remove them.
- Close and lock windows. Ground-level rooms should close blinds and upper-level rooms should open blinds.
- Take your trash to the dumpster and cardboard to the cardboard recycling bin outside. Do not place cardboard or trash in the trash rooms. If the trash room is full at the time you move out, please take items directly to outdoor dumpsters. Additional dumpsters are placed on campus similar to move in for your use. No trash should be left in your room, hallway or lounge space.
Remove all personal items
- Triple check that all of your items are out of your room.
- This includes all unwanted items, trash and any belonging of yours.
- Any items left behind may result in an abandoned property charge of $25 per Residential Life large (32 gallons or larger) trash bag and/or $25 per large item (such as a minifridge, furniture or other items that cannot fit in a trash bag).
- Do not leave items in common area spaces as this greatly impacts other residents and staff’s ability to keep the space clean.
Donations to Helping Hands student organization
- Textbooks and school supply drive will be May 1–7 in many residence hall lobby areas.
- Other items: Donate to one of these great community partners located near campus.
- Habitat for Humanity Restore: accepts all furniture
- The Love Seat: accepts clothes, furniture, books and more
- City of Refuge: accepts household goods or furniture
Mail and packages
- Don’t forget to check your mailbox before you leave and retrieve any packages.
- Update your permanent address in MyZou. This is the address used to forward your mail once the halls close. If we do not have a forwarding address for you, all mail received will be returned to the sender. The Postal Service will not accept change-of-address cards for Residential Life students since the university is responsible for forwarding your mail.
- Contact any companies that you use to purchase things online and change your address to your home or summer address. We will not forward magazines, catalogs or coupons.
Don’t forget your bike!
- All bicycles outside residence halls and Mizzou at Campus Lodge will be removed after May 18 — except bikes outside summer housing locations at Hawthorn, Galena, Dogwood, Defoe-Graham and Mizzou at The Rise
- Abandoned bicycles at Tara & Manor House will not be removed until June 2022.
- Make sure to check the weather in Columbia, at your destination and along the way.
- If you’re driving, consider checking the online interstate weather forecast and take appropriate cautions for the type of weather you’ll be driving in.
- If you’re flying, check with the airline before you leave to see if they anticipate any issues with your flight. For info about air travel and security checkpoints, visit www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips.
- If you have extenuating circumstances and need additional time to move out, please complete a late stay request form in the Housing Portal starting April 25.
Bringing move-out helpers
If you have a roommate/suitemate, please let them know if plan to bring friends, family members or other help moving items out of your room.
If you have questions, please contact your RHC!