Housing accommodations 

How do I request housing accommodations with Residential Life? 

To receive housing accommodations for residence halls and Residential Life apartments, you must complete a housing contract with Residential Life and establish an accommodation plan with the Disability Center. Residential Life will complete your housing assignment while prioritizing your housing accommodation plan as much as possible. However, Residential Life cannot guarantee preference matching, including roommate pairings.

Are there floorplans available for the halls? 

Yes! On our halls page, you can review the specific details and dimensions for all the room styles offered in all halls. 

What housing accommodations can Residential Life provide? 

Residential Life and the Disability Center will work together to provide all reasonable housing accommodations. Contact the Disability Center to learn how Mizzou provides specific accommodations.  

Can I have a specific residence hall or Residential Life apartment as part of my accommodation plan? 

Residence halls and Residential Life apartments include many options that fulfill most accommodation plans. While you likely will not need a particular hall or apartment to fulfill your accommodation plan, Residential Life will help you explore housing options and find the best fit. 

Can I have a single room as part of my accommodation plan?

Single rooms are limited. Should your accommodation plan include a single room, we will work to fulfill that request; however, this is subject to space availability. Because of this, we recommend students reach out to the Disability Center to establish their accommodation plan as soon as possible. Additionally, many disability-related needs may be met without the need for a single room assignment.

Though we cannot accept requests for single rooms based on the need for a quiet study space, the Disability Center can help you find quiet and distraction-free places to study independently. 

Can I have a specific roommate as part of my accommodation plan?

Housing accommodations work to address a student's living environment and needs. Having a specific roommate is not considered an accommodation. If you would like to live with a specific roommate, we encourage you to note this in the roommate request process as part of your preference form. 


Service animals and emotional support animals (ESA) 

What is the difference between a service animal and an ESA? 

Service animals are defined as dogs (or miniature horses in limited situations) that are individually trained to do work or perform specific tasks for people with disabilities. The work or task a service animal does must be directly related to the person’s disability. Service animals are granted access to accompany the person to all places of public accommodation. 

An ESA generally provides assistance and/or emotional support to people with disabilities. While dogs are the most common type of ESA, other animals can also be ESAs. Unlike a service animal, an ESA is not trained to perform specific tasks and is not granted access to all places of public accommodation.  

Is an accommodation plan required before bringing a service animal into my residence hall or Residential Life apartment? 

No. You may bring a service animal to Mizzou without an accommodation plan. However, we strongly recommend you contact the Disability Center, Residential Life and Campus Dining Services if you plan to have a service animal living with you. 

Is an accommodation plan required before bringing an ESA into my residence hall or Residential Life apartment? 

Yes. You may bring an ESA into Residential Life facilities, but you must first establish an accommodation plan with the Disability Center and request the animal as a housing accommodation. Documentation supporting your request is required. You are not permitted to bring an ESA into classrooms, meetings or other university facilities. 

Are any records needed needed to bring a service animal or an ESA into my residence hall or Residential Life apartment?

Yes. A city license, when applicable, and animal vaccination records are required. For more information on specific requirements about animals in Residential Life, please see our animal submission form and our Policies and Procedures