University Policies

Standard of Conduct

Residents and their guests are expected to respect the rights of all other residents, guests, and staff while adhering to the rules set forth in the University Standard of Conduct. A violation of these rules could result in disciplinary action taken by the university.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Collected Rules and Regulations of the University of Missouri, Chapter 200: Student Conduct.

Residential Life Policies

In addition to complying with the university’s alcohol, drugs, smoking and gambling policies, students are expected to abide by Residential Life policies specifically related to:


Missouri law prohibits possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages by those under the legal drinking age and prohibits making alcoholic beverages available to persons under the legal drinking age.

Regardless of age, students and their guests are not permitted to consume, manufacture, use, possess, sell or distribute alcohol in or on the premises of university-owned or -operated residential or dining locations (including common areas, such as Virginia Avenue Amphitheatre).

Drugs, Paraphernalia and Controlled Substances

The consumption, manufacture, use, possession, sale or distribution of any controlled substance in or on the premises of any Residential Life-owned or -operated facility or dining location is prohibited without proper prescription, required license or as expressly permitted by law or university regulations.

Any possession of drug paraphernalia is not permitted.

Tobacco Use

The University of Missouri shall be free from use of all tobacco products by university community on university property. The use of any tobacco including e-cigarettes, hookah, or any vaporized, inhaled or absorbed product is prohibited from use in all residential life facilities, university grounds, fields, parking lots, all buildings, offices, classrooms, hallways, restrooms and streets and sidewalks that fall under City of Columbia Ord. 22246.

For more information on the MU tobacco free policy and assistance quitting tobacco can be found at tobaccofree.missouri.edu.


Illegal or unlicensed gambling in any form is not allowed in university-owned or -operated housing, including, but not limited to, sports betting, sports pools/brackets, Internet gambling and at-home poker games or other activities where money or anything of value is exchanged.

Academic/Community Environment

Residential Life is committed to helping students succeed both academically and personally. Research has consistently shown that students who live in university housing achieve greater levels of academic success, learning, personal growth and satisfaction with their college experience. University housing provides greater access to resources and a supportive environment during the student’s transition to college life.

Therefore, students residing in university housing are expected to help create an environment that promotes the academic mission of the university. Residents will assist in the promotion of the academic environment by upholding policies related to noise, visitation and responsibility for the behavior of guests.

Guests and Visitation

The visitation policy allows residents to host guests in their rooms or suites at any time for appropriate academic or social engagement. The visitation policy does not allow residents to host guests for more than two consecutive days or on a frequent basis. The policy does not allow cohabitation with partners or family members.

Residents and guests are expected to comply with University of Missouri and Residential Life policies. Residents are responsible for their guests’ actions and behavior. Visitation may be restricted for guests who violate hall policies, and their hosts may be subject to conduct action.

We encourage residents to have conversations with their roommates and suitemates about inviting guests into shared living spaces. Room-/suitemates are expected to respect each other's reasonable requests for privacy and must have permission from their room-/suitemates before hosting a guest overnight. A resident's right to privacy supersedes the privilege of hosting guests.

Doors to residential living areas are always locked. Residents must use their TigerCards to enter their hall’s residential living area. Do not allow anyone else to use your room key or student ID.

Residents must meet their guests at an exterior door to let them into the hall and always escort their guests throughout the hall for the duration of their visit.

Community Standards

Residents know best their needs, concerns and abilities to contribute. When residents work together to identify mutual expectations, they are able to build a more effective learning community, as well as to develop skills needed to learn how to live with other people. Therefore, residents in each Community will decide what it means to live there by developing community standards. Each member of the community must follow these standards, which will be discussed throughout the year. Floor student staff and/or community government leaders will help residents determine the community standards, which may focus on topics such as study hours, how to help each other academically, whether or not to sponsor any RecSports teams and/or how to help a resident not living up to the set community standards.

The community standards must follow all local, state and federal laws and university and departmental rules.

Missing Persons

If Residential Life staff have sufficient cause to believe a resident is missing, staff will notify MUPD and a designated contact.

Noise/Quiet Hours/Disruptive Conduct

Residents are required to limit noise during quiet hours established by Residential Life and through community standards discussions. Quiet hours begin no later than 11 p.m. and end no earlier than 9 a.m. daily.

At the end of each semester, from Reading Day (the day after classes end) until the residence halls close, there is an expectation of continuous quiet hours.

If a community creates a quiet floor standard, there is an expectation that, noise will not exceed a low level at all times.

Residents should not engage in disruptive or disorderly conduct or lewd, indecent or obscene conduct or expression. This includes activities that are excessively noisy or otherwise disruptive to other residents. Participants in the planning or execution of pranks maybe subject to conduct action, and students may be charged for any damages.


Residential Life wants your residential space to be as much like home as possible and allow pets within certain parameters. Pets cannot be brought into the hall until approved by roommates/suitemates and the residence hall coordinator. Please utilize this form to submit your request to have a pet and to learn more about our pet policy. 

Service Animals

Students who wish to bring a service animal to MU are covered by Title II of the ADA; thus, students may bring their service animals to campus – including to Residential Life facilities. Students are strongly encouraged to reach out to the Disability Center and to inform Residential Life that they plan to have a service animal living with them. Residential Life requires the resident serving as the handler of the service animal to read and accept the Procedures and Requirements section of the university’s Service Animal Policy and further acknowledge and accept the information detailed in the Service Animal Guidelines and Responsibilities.

Assistance Animals

The MU Disability Center is responsible for evaluating whether to grant or deny requests for reasonable accommodations for students living in Residential Life facilities, including the ability to bring an Assistance Animal or Emotional Support Animal. Residents wishing to request an Assistance Animal as an accommodation MUST follow the Disability Center’s general procedures for requesting an accommodation. This request should be submitted and the approval process completed prior to bringing the animal into the apartment. Residential Life requires that the owner acknowledge and accept all the terms in the Assistance Animal Guidelines and Responsibilities. For more information, contact the Disability Center at 573-882-4696 or visit disabilitycenter.missouri.edu.

For more information, see “Pets” and “Service Animals.”

Sports in the Residence Halls

Neither outdoor activities nor the use of outdoor equipment is permitted in Residential Life-owned or operated buildings.

Soliciting, Photography, Videography

Video/audio recording and photography in the residence halls must not interfere with residents' and guests' rights to a reasonable expectation of privacy in their living space or to the routine activities of the hall. All subjects must consent.

Recording and photography for publication, news/social media, commercial and education projects will be permitted if approved in advance and if in accordance with campus policies.

Sale or solicitation (including the distribution of samples) of anything is prohibited without prior authorization from the Business Services Office or the Associate Director for Residential Academic Programs (RAP) within university and departmental guidelines.

News media may approach people in the outdoor public areas around buildings.



Residents’ use or possession of appliances is restricted by the type, size and number permitted. Due to the high electrical demand of many appliances, Residential Life recommends residents limit the number of appliances used simultaneously to avoid causing a breaker to flip resulting in loss of power to the appliances. Roommates and suitemates should discuss appliances and who will bring what to avoid duplication, as only one microwave and refrigerator is allowed per room.

All residents must abide by the following restrictions on electrical appliances in the residence halls and undergraduate apartments:

  • No space heaters of any kind are permitted.
  • One compact refrigerator that is 4.5 cubic feet or smaller is allowed in each bedroom (residence halls only).
  • One microwave under 1000 watts is allowed in each bedroom (residence halls only).
  • Cooking appliances allowed in student rooms include but not limited to: coffee makers, rice steamers, popcorn air poppers, crock pots, and slow cookers.
  • Cooking appliances not allowed include but are not limited to: toasters, toaster ovens, electric grills (such as George Foreman grills), panini presses, pressure cookers (such as an InstantPot).
  • All appliances with exposed heating elements and external oil or grease collection are prohibited.
  • All appliances must be UL-Approved.

Residential Life also requires the use of surge protector strips with a 15-amp circuit breaker and safety reset switch. A surge protector strip should only be plugged directly into the wall — not into an outlet multiplier or into another surge protector strip (no daisy-chaining).

Overloading outlets and overuse/misuse of equipment is prohibited. Total electrical usage should not exceed that which can be provided by one surge protector strip per outlet and should not overload, short or create line disturbances.

Beds, Bunk Beds and Lofts

Residential Life provides all residents in the residence halls with a single bed. Loft beds are provided in Brooks, Gateway, Gillett, Hudson, Johnston, Mark Twain, Bluford Hall and Wolpers. Loft beds cannot be bunked and are only designed to support one mattress. Do not place two sets of springs on one set of loft bed ends.

Bunk beds are provided in remaining residence halls. Residents may bunk their beds if both roommates are interested.

Residential Life does not permit the construction or use of resident-supplied lofts.

Personal Transportation Devices

The use of bicycles, scooters, skateboards, mopeds, motorcycles and all other wheeled transportation devices is strictly prohibited in the residence halls and apartments. This rule applies whether the device is manually propelled or has a gas or electric motor. Devices used to assist with mobility because of a disability or injury are not included in this restriction.

Personally-owned bicycles, skateboards and standing platform scooters (up to 50 lbs) can be stored in your room (with approval from room- and/or suitemates) or at bicycle racks near residence halls and apartments. Mopeds, motorcycles, seated scooters (over 50 lbs) and all gas-powered transportation devices must be parked and/or stored in the appropriate areas designated on campus. Failure to comply will result in the removal of the device.

If you own or operate a bicycle or moped on the MU campus, you are required to register it with MUPD, which is a free service. The MUPD registration fulfills the City of Columbia's registration requirement. For more information, contact MUPD at 573-882-7201 or visit mupolice.missouri.edu. If you operate a bicycle or moped that is rented/borrowed through a bike-share program, you are not required to register the device with MUPD. 

Charging and storing electric personal transportation devices

Personally owned electric scooters, bicycles, skateboards and other battery-operated transportation devices may be charged and/or stored in your room/apartment, with a limit of one device per resident. Rented or leased transportation devices (e.g., Bird scooters) may not be charged in any university building or using outlets on the exterior of any university building, including residence halls and apartments. Failure to comply will result in the removal of the device.

Candles and Incense

Candles (with or without wicks), incense, oil lamps, oil/wax diffusers that sit on light bulbs or other items with the capability of an open flame or burning ember are not permitted in any residence hall. Possession or use of one of these items poses a significant fire hazard, and will result in the confiscation of the item by Residential Life and maybe subject to conduct action.

Students may observe holidays or special celebrations with the use of candles by making arrangements with the Residence Hall Coordinator. The use of the candles will be in a designated location at an approved time as part of the approved observance. Battery-operated or electric UL-approved candles are allowed


Students found responsible for damage to the property of the university, including individual rooms, will be held financially responsible.

If common areas in the residence halls are vandalized or university property is removed, staff members will work with the community responsible for the common area to address the incident and help them identify who is responsible. If the person(s) responsible is/are not identified, all residents of that community will be held collectively responsible for payment/restitution for the damage (examples include theft of or vandalism to artwork, furnishings, windows, window treatments, fixtures, kiosks, carpets, furniture, walls, etc.).

Students should report damages or missing furniture to hall staff immediately. Residential Life will determine the appropriate charges for repair or replacement to be charged to appropriate parties.

Residents must clean up any mess, and any damages will be documented and billed to the student’s account.

Damage or service cost due to overloading or tampering with elevators may be considered damage that requires restitution by an individual or the community.

Room furniture must remain in its designated room/suite at all times. Any missing pieces of furniture will be considered damage to the room, and the resident will be charged for replacement of these items.


Residents are encouraged to personalize their rooms/suites to make them feel like home and are required to comply with published decorating policies. Please cooperate with your room-suitemates’ interests, and make sure that all decorations are safe.

Residents may decorate common areas after receiving prior approval from the Residence Hall Coordinator.

Crafting projects with the potential to be messy are not allowed in or around the residence hall without advance coordination with the Residence Hall Coordinator.

Lighting: Residents may use decorative holiday lights in common areas with the coordination and approval of the Residence Hall Coordinator. Decorative lights may be used within students’ rooms but must not be attached to door frames, metal bed frames, windows, fire alarms, sprinkler heads or life safety equipment. All lights must be UL-listed.

Holidays and Religious ceremonies: If celebrating practices or traditions violate policies, students may consult their Residence Hall Coordinator to identify ways to observe within the policy’s specifications.

Any and all decorations in common areas must be removed - and the space returned to its original condition - before students leave for scheduled university breaks.

Doors and Security

Your TigerCard serves as your room/suite key. Do not allow anyone else to use your TigerCard, and do not share your PIN or other private information.

You will use your TigerCard for 24-hour access to your residence hall and room. If you misplace or lose your TigerCard/key, visit the hall desk for assistance. Loss of your TigerCard/key may result in a charge. For more information, visit doit.missouri.edu/services/id-card.

Do not prop open any doors in the residence hall, even for a short period of time. Fire and Life Safety codes require doors to remain closed, locked, and latched when not in use. Tampering with locks and latches, including those on bedroom and bathroom doors of unoccupied rooms, is not permitted and may result in financial responsibility.


Residents in halls with traditional locks will be issued room keys when they check in. Keys are university property and must be returned upon checking out. Do not allow anyone else to use your room key. If you lose your key, notify your hall staff or front desk so we can quickly re-establish the security of your room. Lost keys will result in a lock change and charges of $85–$170 (depending on your room style) applied to your account.

Unauthorized possession, duplication or use of university keys or unauthorized entry or use of university-owned or -operated facilities is prohibited.

Entering Resident Rooms

Although the university will make reasonable efforts to respect the privacy of a student's room/suite/restrooms, Residential Life reserves the right to enter a student's room/suite/restrooms, with prior notice if possible, for purposes of inspection, verification of occupancy, improvements or repair.

The university reserves the right of entry without notice in situations posing a threat to life or property, violation of policy and for such purposes as are reasonably necessary to preserve resident and community safety. Prohibited items in plain view may be confiscated at any time, and student may follow up with Residence Hall Coordinator.

Fire Equipment/Life Safety

Tampering with or theft of fire or life safety equipment jeopardizes the safety of the residents and the residence hall.

Automatic external defibrillators (AEDs) are located near the main entries of each residence hall, in upper Pershing, lower Bingham, and the Residential Life main office.

Restricted Items

Any item that is not approved, is a violation of university policy or is illegal under local, state, or federal law is subject to confiscation. Some items will be disposed of (e.g., alcohol).

When feasible, items will be held until residents have the opportunity to meet with their Residence Hall Coordinator. Confiscated items will be considered forfeited by the resident. Disposal or situational return of the items is at the RHC's discretion.


Residents need authorization to park in a non-metered campus lot or garage space. Contact Parking & Transportation at 573-882-4568 or parking.missouri.edu to purchase a permission.


There is no storage space available to residents in any university-owned or -operated facilities. Residents must store personal belongings within their assigned room/suite

Recycling and Trash

Residents are not to leave trash in the hallway or common areas. Trash and recycling bins are located throughout each residence hall.

Residents must not leave trash in the hallway or other common area of the hall.

Repairs and Maintenance

If you notice a facilities-related problem in your room or elsewhere in the residence hall, please report it by submitting a Maintenance Request. You may also call 573-882-8211. Ask your student staff member if you aren’t sure what to do with a facility related problem.

Restricted Areas

Some areas in and around the residence halls are restricted at all times for safety reasons. Residents are not permitted to climb the outside of building walls. Other areas, such as fire escapes or emergency doors, can only be used in an emergency.

Windows and Window Screens

Windows fitted for screens must have screens in place at all times. Window safe­ty stops must be left intact at all times. Hang­ing, dropping or throwing anything out of an open window or using the window for entry or exit purposes is prohibited (except in case of emergency). Do not unlatch interior or exte­rior window screens.

Residents may not attach anything to or block the windows for fire safety purposes. This includes, but is not limited to, signage, posters, sheets, netting, stickers or clings.

Items may be placed on the windowsill, as long as they do not block access to the window.

Do not replace or add to window furnishings.

Do not place string lights around window frames. Any fray in the wiring poses an elec­trocution hazard.

Room/suite/apartment residents will be charged for the total cost of installing, repairing or replacing damaged or destroyed screens and windows. Damag­es or costs resulting from items thrown from the window or other violations of this policy will be charged to the resident and will like­ly result in termination of the Residential Life contract and removal from all Residential Life-owned or -operated facilities.

  1. Continuous occupancy of University Student Apartments may not extend beyond six calendar years from the effective date of the first contract signed by the student.  No apartment may be continuously occupied for more than six calendar years.  Contract transfers require an inspection by Residential Life and Campus Facilities staff and require approval.
  2. Roommates must sign the Roommate Agreement and be approved by Residential Life prior to moving into the apartment.
  3. Families with more than four legal dependents may only be accommodated in specific units and depending on availability. This accommodation is not guaranteed.
  4. Any additions to a family must be communicated to Residential Life to ensure accuracy of rosters and safety.
  5. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
  6. Rooms are only to be occupied by Student and Student’s partner and/or legal dependents or eligible roommate; and no other person shall be allowed to reside in said rooms.
  7. Occupying space not listed on contract will incur full cost of occupied space.
  8. Requests for transfers to another University owned facility will be considered by the University in instances of the addition of a new dependent to the Student's family or for other reasons which may be considered by the Department. Requests to transfer are prioritized according to the date received and they are assigned at the discretion of the Residential Life department. Requests for transfers must be made in writing. All transfers if granted will be assessed a $150 transfer fee.

    The following provisions also apply:
    • Only the Student may request a transfer
    • A transfer request form must be completed by the Student and turned into Residential Life
    • The Student's Cashier's account must be current regarding rent and associated costs
    • The condition of the current apartment must be clean and free from danger of fire or any nuisance. An inspection of the apartment will be performed by the staff of Residential Life.
    • Residential Life reserves the right to deny a request to transfer. This includes but is not limited to the right to deny a transfer if the current apartment is deemed to be unclean or in poor condition.
    • When the transfer apartment is ready Student must move to the new apartment on the approved scheduled date.  Student will have three days to compete their move after which they will be charged rent for both apartments until formal check out for the old apartment has occurred. Proper check out procedures must be followed.
    • Should Student wish to decline the assigned transfer apartment, the Student will need to decline the apartment in writing. If a student fails to respond to the offer to transfer by deadline, the request will be canceled.
  9. The apartment is not to be used for anything other than residential purposes.
  10. Service or maintenance personnel and other authorized employees of University shall be permitted to enter the rooms at all reasonable times for the purpose of making such inspections therein and performing such work (including, but not limited, insect or rodent control; health and safety checks or occupancy check or maintenance) as may be deemed necessary by University.
  11. Any motor vehicle which is in Student’s possession or in the possession of Student’s roommate or members of Student’s family shall be properly registered in accordance with MU Parking and Transportation (embed parking.missouri.edu here), shall be parked in authorized areas, and shall be in operating condition.
  12. Students shall:
    • make no use of a washing machine or dryer within the assigned apartment except in apartments that provide washer and dryer connections.
    • make no alterations in the apartment plumbing for safety reasons;
    • not allow, intentionally or unintentionally permit any foreign objects to enter the plumbing in the apartment and will be responsible for the reimbursement of any damages.
    • connect no bidets or sprayers (handheld or otherwise) to any plumbing fixtures.
    • keep a toilet plunger in the apartment and to use the plunger as necessary.
    • make no alterations in the apartment or in the electric wiring therein for safety reasons or connect any appliances to the electrical wiring system except through provided outlets in the apartment.
    • connect no major appliances including but not limited to; deep freezers, refrigerators, space heaters, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, portable washing machines or dishwashers.
    • construct no fence or enclosure about the apartment or on University property.
    • install no television or radio antennae or satellite dishes or any other equipment on or around the outside of the building or in the trees or utility poles in the area.
    • dispose of trash and garbage in the containers provided and keep the areas in around laundry and trash area neat and clean.
    • install no waterbeds.
    • Store no items outside of apartment on the porch, breezeway or deck. If items are found on Student’s porch/breezeway/deck the Residential Life will issue one warning and provide a deadline for removal of items. If Student fails to follow Residential Life’s request then the University reserves the right to remove unsanctioned items and charge the Student a minimum of $50 for removal of items.
    • Student shall not remove the provided window blinds and shall keep the interior and exterior sills of all exterior windows in the apartment free from bottles, cartons and other objects. 
  13. Pets must be registered and approved with Residential Life prior to entering the apartment. Types of animals typically permitted are rodents, fish and many reptiles. No animals over five pounds adult weight are permitted. Upon violation the Student agrees to remove the animal immediately from the premises.
  14. Student shall be responsible for utilities from the beginning date through the termination date of contract making such deposits as may be required, and paying the companies for such utilities except in furnished Tara apartments where utilities are included. Utilities in furnished Tara apartments should be provided to Student, considering reasonable usage comparable to the property average, at no additional cost over and above the agreed upon fixed monthly rental amount. Any unreasonable utility expenses exceeding 25% of the property average will cause said excess expenses to be charged back to the Student.
  15. Student is asked to respect the academic atmosphere of Mizzou Apartments and the rights of other residents to live and pursue their studies. The close proximity of the apartments to one another should always be taken into consideration by all the residents of University Student Apartments. General quiet hours are to be observed after 10 p.m. and before 8 a.m.
  16. Equipment located in the laundry room is for the exclusive use of residents. Student shall not use or permit use of equipment for laundry articles other than those belonging to the student’s own immediate family or roommate. Student shall remove the clothes as soon as practical. Clothes left in the machine or   in the laundry area for more than two days will be removed by the University.
  17. Student shall assume full responsibility for furniture items and agree to return them to us at the expiration of the Lease Term in like condition at the end of contract. All furniture must be its original position prior to vacating the apartment. Students may not remove University owned furniture, appliances, fixtures, and/or furnishings from the apartment for any purpose. Student will be responsible for all loss, breakage or other damage to furnished items.  Furniture damage and/or replacement costs shall be provided to student at time of agreement execution.
  18. A $125 carpet cleaning will be assessed at the time of the final bill.


Video/Audio Recording, Photography and Solicitation

Video/audio recording and photography on or at porches, walkways or balconies/decks near the apartments must not interfere with residents’ and guests’ rights to a reasonable expectation of privacy in their living space or to the routine activities of the apartment complex. All subjects must consent.

Recording and photography for publication, news/social media, commercial and education projects will be permitted if approved in advance and if in accordance with campus policies.
Sale or solicitation (including the distribution of samples) of anything is prohibited without prior authorization from the Business Services Office or the Associate Director for Residential Academic Programs (RAP) within university and departmental guidelines.

News media may approach people in the outdoor public areas around buildings.

University Resources

Counseling Center

Disability Center

Office for Civil Rights & Title IX

Office of Student Accountability & Support

Relationship & Violence Protection (RSVP) Center

Student Health Center

University Police